God's Word For You!-Pg1 >
THE TWO BAPTISMS
THE TWO BAPTISMS
1. THE TWO BAPTISMS - (MARK 1:8; ACTS 1:5,8)
By: Rev. Abraham Bascon, Sr. Pastor
A. Mark 1:8 and Acts 1:5, notice both Mark and Acts say:
“But you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit." Period!!
Now take a look at Matt. 3:11 and Luke 3:16. They both say:
“He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”
Now, do you suppose that Mark and Acts deliberately left out the
word fire? Or, is this a typographical error? Or, could it be that the
scribes forgot to put the word “fire” in both Mark and Acts?
Answer: No, they did not!
There is an explanation for the differences:
First, when Matthew, and Luke says: “But you shall be baptized
with the Holy Spirit and fire.” It leads one to believe that this is
the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and fire, which took place on the
Day of Pentecost (Acts 2: 1-4). This is false!
I will now give the second explanation why both Mark and Acts
do not include “fire.”
B. Matt. 3:7-12, the content of John the Baptist’s message is:
True and sincere repentance pays off big time!
1. Vs.7 - John the Baptist says to the legalistic Pharisees and the
Sadducees: “Brood of vipers, who warned you of the ‘wrath’ to
2. Vs.8 – Show the fruits or give proof of your repentance.
3. Vs.9 – Being descendants of Abraham doesn’t exempt
anyone from repenting! “For all have sinned and fall short
of the glory of God!” (Romans 3:23)
4. Vs.10 –The trees are symbolic for people. If the people don’t bear
good fruits of repentance, they are thrown into the fire to burn!
5. Vs.11 – John baptized with water unto repentance; but, Jesus will
baptize you with the Holy Spirit and He will baptize you with “fire.”
6. Vs.12 – He will gather His “wheat” (those who repent), and baptize
them with the Holy Spirit. But, the “chaff” (those who refuse to
repent), Jesus will burn up with an unquenchable “fire!”
7. Remember, the content of John’s message is:
Show proof of a sincere and true repentance, and you shall reap big!
Jesus will save you from the wrath to come, by baptizing you with the
Holy Spirit, not with “fire.”
a. The Fire Baptism: is reserved for those who don’t repent.
It is not just fire. It’s “unquenchable fire!” It’s God’s coming wrath.
It’s the second death. It’s the Lake of Fire and Brimstone!!
b. You can’t be saved unless you repent. You can’t be born of the
Holy Spirit unless you have the fruits of repentance!!
C. Now, let me expound on Acts 1: 4-5, 8.
1. Vs. 4-5, “The Promise of the Father” is to be baptized with
the Holy Spirit.’
2. Vs.8 – When the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you shall
receive power. (Grk. Dunamis (meaning: miraculous power)
This is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
D. Now let’s look at Acts 2: 1-4, The Day of Pentecost.
1. Vs. 2 – There came a sound from heaven as of a mighty wind,
sounds like a tornado to me.
2. Vs. 3-4 – Then there appeared divided tongues AS of fire.
Was it actual or literal fire? No, it was AS of fire!!
3. The rushing mighty wind, and the tongues AS of fire which sat
upon their heads is symbolic of the Holy Spirit. Just like when
Jesus was baptized, the Holy Spirit descended upon him like a
E. The disciples did not receive the “Baptism with fire.” They had the fruits of repentance. They were baptized with the Holy Spirit! They were not going to be thrown in the Lake of Fire that’s reserved for those who refuse to repent! These sinners are going to be baptized with "fire."
They will eat of the coming wrath of God!
So, why don’t YOU repent of your sins now?!!